Hero Academy FAQ - Steam Version
Read This Note!
We've created a new support knowledgebase that can help you search for any problems you may be having and give you solutions. Check it out here:
All of the items on the FAQ below are in the knowledgebase, and if you can't find a solution there is an email link for direct email support.
Hero Academy PC FAQ
1. How do I get more detailed unit help in the PC version?
A. Right-click and hold on heroes and other ingame elements to get detailed help.
2. How can I see how much health all my heroes have?
A. Left-click and hold on the playfield to see health bars for all your heroes, and also the exact percentage of crystal life you have left.
3. In the Start a Game menu, what do the icons next to my Steam friends mean?
A Hero Academy icon means that Steam friend owns Hero Academy. Friends whose names show up in green are online right now!
4. In the Settings menu, what is the First Turn AP option for?
A. This option allows players to set a handicap for the first player to help self-balance the game to your liking. Choose whether you want the first player to start with 3, 4, or 5 AP when you create new games with other players.
5. I play Hero Academy on my iPhone and I never enter a password there; what should I use to login from Steam?
A. The easiest thing to do is to set a password from your iOS device (under Settings), and then use it to log in to Hero Academy on Steam. If you don’t have your device, or just don’t want to mess around with it, you can also just request a password reset on the Hero Academy Steam login page.
6. Are there any configurable options not available in the Settings menu?
A. Yes! Create a user.cfg file in the root of your Hero Academy directory (~yourInstallPath~\Steam\steamapps\common\Hero Academy) and add any or all of the configs below.
- DisableAutoLogin – adding this to user.cfg prevents automatic login at the start.
- TouchDragDeadZone=x – set x to a number to make the mouse drag dead zone larger or smaller. This will change how it feels to drag heroes and other items around. The default is 12 (pixels).
- PreloadPuppets – adding this to user.cfg improves the loading time for individual games at the expense of the initial game loading time.
- BackgroundFPSCap=x – limits the FPS when the game is running in the background (doesn’t have focus). Defaults to 30.
- MinimizeToTray – adding this to user.cfg will minimize the game to the tray without displaying it on the Windows task bar.
7. I have Hero Academy on both my iOS device and Steam, and I don’t see my new purchases!
A. Purchases made on one platform require logging off and then back on the other platform before purchases can be synced properly. You’ll also need to log off and log on again after purchasing DLC through the Steam store.
8. When click play Hero Academy, I get the error “PVR: VFrame attempted to use one of these functions: wglChoosePixelFormatARB, but they are not on your machine”. What can I do to fix this?
A. Updating your video card to the latest drivers should fix this. Visit the support section of your video card manufacturer's website for information on how to download and install the newest driver.
9. I have an older DX9 video card – can I run Hero Academy?
A. We do not officially support DX9 video cards. However, some cards appear to run the game fine. Others, like the ATI Radeon X1300, X1600 XT, X1900, and X1950 Pro can only run Hero Academy in low resolution. Your mileage may vary.
10. Does Hero Academy support 16 bit color depth?
A. Sorry, no. Please switch to 32 bit.
11. Can I run Hero Academy fullscreen?
A. Hero Academy only runs in a window. For display resolutions greater than 1434x990 there are two window size options – large and compact. Resolutions less than 1434x990 can only use the compact layout.
12. Hero Academy doesn’t work! I see the menu and splash screen, but none of the buttons do anything.
A. If you encounter this rare bug, try uninstalling Steam (including the registry keys) and reinstalling it.
13. My user name is running off the edge!
A. Very long user names may not fit correctly on several of the interfaces, notably the Rematch, Game Create, Team Select, Chat, and the Home Screen. We are planning to correct this in an update.