Hero Academy Tribe Update Details
Submitted by SixOkay on Wed, 04/04/2012 - 07:43
What's New in 1.2?
With update 1.2, we decided to mix things up in a couple of gameplay areas. We have planned to do this for some time, and felt that our fourth team was the right time to try such a change. We've modified the standard allocation of units in the draw pile. The Tribe combines the standard potion and scroll items into their Haunch of Meat, collapses their defensive gear to their Spike Armor, and rushes onto the battlefield with two powerful Chieftain super units. These changes, along with many of their mechanics, combine for a very aggressive feel that really pushes you out onto the game board. This team was designed to threaten enemy units while retaining the ability to destroy crystals if need be, which is why the Warrior and Axe Thrower mechanics are usable on crystals as well. (and yes, the Warrior will KO any crystal at or below 25% health.. if you think that's too strong, maybe I shouldn't tell you that Zekers almost convinced me to make it work below 50%!).
In addition, we've introduced two mechanics with the new game board. Barbed Crystals are quite a departure from our board designs, giving the units responsible for our victory condition a way to fire at the enemy! We actually started off with some passive boosts for crystals on this board, such as innate damage reflection, but the active ability easily won out in playtesting. And, the new Resist boost premium square complements the Defense boost that is already in place on other boards. On paper, it is a small change, but it actually changes various match-ups quite significantly.
I would like to thank everyone who has submitted feedback and ideas on Twitter, Facebook, and the forums. The Hero Academy team has learned a lot from you guys, and I look forward to sharing more about our plans!
- Marcin Szymanski
Lead Designer, Hero Academy
- Hero Academy is now a universal app with iPad support!
- New team available: the Tribe! Led by fearless chieftains, the Tribe is relentless in its pursuit of victory!
- New FREE Tribe-themed playfield featuring Barbed Crystals and Magic Resist premium squares!
- New Partial Undo option - choose between undoing all actions or one at a time.
- Gameplay balance adjustments to Council, Dwarves, and the single-crystal map. (Details below)
- New Game Center leaderboard and achievements for the Tribe!
- Added Korean, French, and Spanish language support.
- Various stability and functionality fixes.
NOTE: There is a known bug in the new update that will cause Tribe Leaderboards in Game Center to not update properly. We are already working on a fix for this issue and will release it as an update as soon as it's ready.
Zekers' Balance & Gameplay Notes
Added an option for single action Undo - Players will now be able to undo individual actions with a tap of the AP wheel, or hold it down for a full reset.
Added an option to set starting Action Points to 3, 4, 5 - This option is intended for players who would like to reduce the first turn advantage, and will mostly be used for tournaments and competitive play.
Diagonals hits are no longer penalized extra for AOE splash
- Assault boost damage is now modified by AOE falloff
- Cleric heal-on-resurrection reduced from 450 to 400 - The extra 50 HP was often acting as an entire extra sustainable hit for resurrected units. Reducing the bonus to 400 will make the revived council units slightly more vulnerable.
Dark Elves Updates
- Phantom resist removed
Increased Gunner splash damage from 50% to 66% - The gunner was lacking in ranged situations – he should be able to pack a rather large punch when upgraded with a scroll now.
Paladin gains a stacking 5% boost to power, defense, and resist to all allies in a 3x3 radius - Giving the Paladin an aura will help the dwarf units survive longer and deal a little more damage. The aura also works on crystals. We did this to incentivize players to move Paladins out into the field.
Engineer shield range up to 3 - The engineer will require less AP to maneuver and apply shields, which is a seemingly small but substantial boost.
Debuffs no longer apply if the target has an Engineer shield. This includes the debuffs from the Priestess and the Annihilator - The priestess will no longer be able to weaken units that have a shield on them, which is an inherent boost to the dwarves.
- Pulverizer damage increased from 500 to 600 and now permanently removes physical armor - The Pulverizer now deals more damage and removes physical armor (non-helmets) upon hit. This will help them to take out armored units more easily.
Changed the forward crystals on the Dwarf board from medium to large, and changed the rear crystals from small to medium. This will allow more buffer time for combat before moving towards the rear crystal.
- Moved the crystal back on the single crystal Board, as well as adjusting the premium square locations. Games were ending too quickly on this board. These changes should make it much more balanced.